Daily Current Affairs - 8 Aug 2020
1. Letter of Recommendation module for PM SVANidhi Scheme launched.
• Letter of Recommendation module for PM SVANidhi Scheme has been launched by Housing and Urban Affairs Secretary.
• The Letter of Recommendation module or programme will make the scheme accessible to street vendors who are without identity card and Certificate of Vending and are out of the surveyed list for getting benefits under PM SVANidhi Scheme.
• Through the module, street vendors get a digitally enabled process in which an eligible vendor can formally ask Letter of Recommendation from the Urban Local Body.
• When the vendor will receive Letter of Recommendation from Urban Local Body, he will be able to apply for loan under PM SVANidhi scheme of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
• The vendor who will receive Letter of Recommendation will get identity card and Certificate of Vending within 30 days.
2. Dr. Pradeep Kumar Joshi appointed as UPSC chairman
• Dr. Pradeep Kumar Joshi has been appointed as UPSC chairman and he will take place of Arvind Saxena.
• Dr. Pradeep Kumar Joshi has been a member of UPSC since 2015.
• His tenure as UPSC Chairman will continue till May 12, 2021.
• He has also served as chairman of Chhattisgarh Public Service Commission and Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission.
• Chairman and members of UPSC:
• The chairman of UPSC and its members are appointed by President of India. Presently, there are 8 members in UPSC.
• The number of members is not fixed by Constitution and the number of members depends on the discretion of the President.
• The tenure of Chairman and members is six years or 65 years age, whichever is earlier.
• President decides the conditions of the service of chairman and member.
3. Inauguration of submarine Optical Fibre Cable connecting Chennai and Port Blair
• A submarine Optical Fibre Cable connecting Chennai and Port Blair will be inaugurated by PM.
• Submarine optical fibre cable will also connect Port Blair to other places such as Swaraj Dweep, Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, Great Nicobar, Long Island and Rangat.
• The cable will ensure faster and reliable telecom and broadband connectivity to Andaman and Islands.
• On 30th December 2018, PM has launched foundation stone for this project at Port Blair.
• Andaman and Nicobar Islands:
• It is an archipelago and Union Territory of India. It has 572 islands.
• Andaman is separated from Nicobar by 10o channel.
• The capital and the largest city of Andaman and Nicobar is Port Blair.
• Port Blair is located in South Andaman.
4. Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra to be inaugurated by PM
• Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra, an interactive experience centre on the Swachh Bharat Mission, will be inaugurated by PM.
• Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra is an interactive experience centre and it will provide information to future generations about journey of Swachh Bharat Mission.
• The installations in the centre will information, awareness and education on Swachhata and related aspects.
• PM had first announced RashtriyaSwachhata Kendra on 10th April 2017, when ChamparanSatyagrah’s centenary was celebrated.
• Swachh Bharat Mission:
• The mission was launched in 2014.
• Under the mission, more than 10 crore individual toilets have been constructed so far.
• On 2 October 2019, the rural areas in all States have declared themselves Open Defection (ODF) Free.
• Swachh Bharat Mission – Gramin is being implemented by Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
• Swachh Bharat Mission Urban is being implemented by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
5. A memorial for Indian soldiers to be constructed by Bangladesh.
• A memorial for Indian soldiers, who were martyred in 1971 liberation war, will be constructed by Bangladesh.
• 2021 is the 50th anniversary of 1971 liberation war of Bangladesh.
• In 1971, India has helped Bangladesh in its liberation from Pakistan.
• It is a South Asian country that lies to the east of India. Myanmar is located to southeast of Bangladesh.
• Its capital and largest city is Dhaka. Its currency is Bangladeshi Taka.
• India shares longest border with Bangladesh (4096.70 Km).
6. ICC Men’s T20 World Cup for year 2021 to be hosted by India.
• ICC Men’s T20 World Cup for year 2021 will be hosted by India and ICC Men’s T20 World Cup for year 2020 will be held in Australia in 2022.
• ICC Men’s T20 World Cup for year 2020 has been earlier postponed due to Covid-19.
• ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 in New Zealand has been postponed till February– March 2022.
• All teams qualified for ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 will participate in the event to be hosted by India in 2021.
• Qualification event for ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup was scheduled in Sri Lanka in July 2020, but this was postponed. Now, the event will be organized in 2021.
- International Cricket Council (ICC):
- It was formed in 1909.
- It is headquartered in Dubai, UAE.
- Its CEO is Manu Sawhney.
7. 78th anniversary of Quit India movement: 8 August 2020
• 8th August 2020 is 78th anniversary of Quit India movement of 1942.
• 8th August is celebrated as August Kranti Day every year.
• Quit India movement was started by Mahatma Gandhi with the slogan “Do or Die”.
• Quit India movement was started from Gawalia Tank in Mumbai.
• On August 9, 1942, the British arrested main leaders of the movement, but the movement continued. There was violence during the movement.
• During the movement, parallel government were formed at places such as Balia in UP, Tamulak in Bengal, Satara in Maharashtra and Talchar in Orissa.
8. G C Murmu takes oath as Comptroller and Auditor General of India
President Ram Nath Kovind today administered the oath of office to GC Murmu as Comptroller and Auditor General of India at RashtrapatiBhavan.
MrMurmu had stepped down as the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir earlier this week. Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were also present on the occasion