How To Prepare For CDS Exam
Preparing for CDS examination
The English question paper will consist of 100 marks and will be objective in nature. It will test the candidate's understanding of the language and will comprise basic grammar, spotting the correct sentences, antonyms, synonyms, and the like.
- â€¢Â Â Â To prepare for English, one can develop the habit of reading the newspaper regularly. Reading the newspaper improves not only one's vocabulary but also one's knowledge about the subject
- â€¢Â Â Â One can refer to basic grammar books to clear the concepts
- â€¢Â Â Â Try to learn a couple of new words on a daily basis. By doing this, you will soon find that you are developing a good hold over the language
- â€¢Â Â Â When you are learning the new words, also try to learn their antonyms and synonyms and also how to use the words in sentences
- â€¢Â Â Â Try solving past year's question papers so that you have an idea of what to expect
The General Knowledge paper will consist of 100 marks and will be objective in nature. It will test the candidate about his knowledge on various subjects including current affairs, history, geography, scientific relation to day-to-day experiences, generic scientific observations as may be expected of an educated person who does not have specialization in any particular subject.
- â€¢Â Â Â Read newspapers regularly and watch television for the latest happenings in and around the world.
- â€¢Â Â Â Read magazines that cover varied topics ranging from economy to business to trade policies to the latest awardees in the fields of sports, art, literature. In short, just be aware of all the topics because questions can come from anywhere.
- â€¢Â Â Â Refer to past question papers and see the pattern of occurrence of the questions. That will give you an idea as to which topics to concentrate on.
The Elementary Mathematics paper will cover topics like Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Mensuration and Basic statistics. Usually the standard is that of matriculation.
- â€¢Â Â Â Revise all the topics thoroughly
- â€¢Â Â Â First, pick up the topics that you are strong at and practice thoroughly. Later move on the difficult ones and try to practice as much as possible
- â€¢Â Â Â Concentrate on having a clear concept on all the topics
Personal interview: Intelligence and Personality test
A candidate is eligible to take the Intelligence and Personality test only if he or she clears the written test. The Intelligence and Personality test is conducted by Services Selection Board (SSB). The SSB has the sole authority to conduct this test, which is usually spread over 3 to 4 days. This test judges a candidate of his intelligence, personality, and his ability to be chosen as an officer in the Defence Forces. There are several components included in the test like Psychological Tests, Group Discussion, Intelligence Tests, Outdoor activities, Opinion on issues, Physical Fitness, and the like. Through this test, a candidate has to prove that he is just not intelligent and academically qualified, but also possesses qualities that will make him a worthy officer.
- â€¢Â Â Â Concentrate and develop reasoning ability, written and oral expressions, self-confidence, courage, a positive and a cheerful attitude
- â€¢Â Â Â Train your mind to think clearly, rationally and logically
- â€¢Â Â Â Try to improve the way you can influence people through logical arguments
- â€¢Â Â Â Improve your communication skills
- â€¢Â Â Â Try to have a very strong hold over English
- â€¢Â Â Â Train yourself to respect your seniors and juniors
- â€¢Â Â Â Develop a cooperative and responsible attitude, which will help in successfully carrying out team work
- â€¢Â Â Â Improve your general awareness regarding national and international issues
- â€¢Â Â Â Begin to think and behave like an officer
Candidates will undergo medical examination only when they clear the SSB interview. The test is usually conducted at the nearest Military Hospital and spreads over 3 to 4 days. The test is a long one and is different for all the three forces - Army, Navy and Air Force.
- â€¢Â Â Â Have yourself medically examined before you take the CDS exam, just to avoid any surprises
- â€¢Â Â Â Exercise regularly and keep your weight in check
- â€¢Â Â Â Take all the steps that will help you remain healthy