The Ministry of Defense sanctions permanent commission to women officers in Indian Army
· Permanent commission granted to Women Officers in Indian Army
· The order specifies grant of permanent commission to Short Service Commissioned (SSC) women officers in all 10 streams of the Indian Army
· The Selection Board will be scheduled as soon as all eligible SSC women officers exercise their option and complete proper documentation
Empowering Women Officers the Ministry of Defense on 23rd July Thursday sanctions letter for permanent commission to women officers in Indian Army. The order follows a Supreme Court verdict in February that directed the government that women Army officers be granted PC and command postings in all services other than combat.
The order specifies grant of permanent commission to Short Service Commissioned (SSC) women officers in all 10 streams of the Indian Army including: Army Air Defence (AAD), Signals, Engineers, Army Aviation, Electronics and Mechanical Engineers (EME), Army Service Corps (ASC), Army Ordnance Corps (AOC), and Intelligence Corps in addition to the existing streams of Judge and Advocate General (JAG) and Army Educational Corps (AEC).
The order specifies that the Selection Board will be scheduled as soon as all eligible SSC women officers exercise their option and complete proper documentation.
Noting to all recent developments on granting Permanent Commission to Women Officers in Indian Army, the Supreme Court on February 17 landmark verdict had directed that women officers in the Army be granted permanent commission and command postings, rejecting the Centre's stand of their physiological limitations as being based on "sex stereotypes" and "gender discrimination against women".
· The three services have allowed permanent recruitment of women in slect streams including medical, education, legal, signals, logistics and engineering.
· The women officers recruited through the SSC in the IAF have the option of seeking permanent commission in all streams except the flying branch.
· The Navy has allowed permanent commission of women in a host of departments such as logistics, naval designing, air traffic control, engineering and legal
Empowering Women Officers in Indian Army directs the indiscrimination within the ‘status quo’, ‘gender gap’, ‘physical & physiological limitations’, ‘change of mindset’ to a more productive and equal opportunities for all defence personnel, especially to eligible women officers in Indian Armed Forces.