‘‘स्त्री की उन्नति पर ही राश्ट्र की उन्नति निर्भर है’’ eternal words lasting forever and ever.
Passion Purpose Progress the 3P’s in women dictionary is like an ocean breeze puts a strong, confident, courageous and powerful blows on minds.
Quoting Hillary Clinton words on International Women’s day “Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in. And, when you stumble, keep faith. And, when you’re knocked down, get right back up and never listen to anyone who says you can’t or shouldn’t go on.”
Celebrated annually on March 8 the International Women’s Day also known as the United Nation (UN) Day for Women’s Right and International Peace recognizes the women’s achievements throughout history and across nations. One day celebration is not enough to thank all the great and eminent women personalities’ contribution in the Indian Armed Forces.
Here is a list of such Indian women who created history in the Indian Armed forces and continue to awe us.
1. Major Nasreen Fatima, Squadron Leader (Retd.), the first lady Officer from the Indian Air Force in the Territorial Army. She is commissioned in Indian Air Force as a Short Service Commissioned Officer in Education Branch for a tenure of 10 years and currently working as an Academic Head in Centurion Defence Academy, one of the renowned defence institute in India offering maximum numbers of Officer level selection each year.
2. Punita Arora, the first Indian woman to hold the rank of Lieutenant General in the India Armed Forces and first female Vice Admiral in the Indian Navy.
3. Padmavathy Bandopadhyay, the first woman Air Marshal of the Indian Air Force and first Indian woman to conduct an experiment on extreme cold acclimatization in the North Pole.
4. Harita Kaur Deol, the first woman in the Indian Air Force to fly without a co-pilot.
5. Divya Ajith Kumar, the first woman in the Indian Army to receive the coveted 'Sword of Honour'.
6. Mitali Madhumita, the first woman officer in the Indian Army to receive the prestigious Sena Medal.
7. Priya Jhingan, the first cadet to join the Indian Army in 1992.
8. Gunjan Saxena and Srividya Rajan, the first Indian women pilots to fly into combat zone during the Kargil war.
9. Sophia Qureshi, the first woman officer to lead a 40-member army contingent at the international military exercise.
10. Ganeve Lalji, the first woman to be appointed as the aide-de-camp in the Indian Army.
11. Deepika Misra, the first IAF woman pilot to train for the helicopter aerobatic team.
12. Shanti Tigga, the first jawaan in the Indian Army. She beat all her male co-cadets in physical fitness tests.
13. Nivedita Choudhary, the first woman officer in the Indian Air Force to summit Mt. Everest.
14. Avani Chaturvedi, the first Indian woman officer to fly a supersonic jet fighter all alone.
15. All-women crew of the INSV Tarini, six brave women from the Indian navy became the first all-women Indian crew to successfully circumnavigate the globe.
We're immensely proud of these brave Indian Women officers who are an inspiration to women all around. Female officers always find a way to distinguish themselves in Indian Armed Forces. We strongly believe that in the next five to 10 years, women will be on the frontline as well. All the young females growing up current scenario in India can find numerous options and facilities to join Indian Armed Forces. You can come forward strongly and boldly and hold your position in this list as well.