What is AFCAT Exam?
AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test) is an exam which can give you wings! For all of you who have the dream of working between the sprawling jets can turn this dream into reality through this exam. AFCAT is a national level competitive exam conducted by the Indian Air Force (IAF) to select officers for all its branches, except for the medical and dental branches. The AFCAT is conducted by the Indian Air Force twice (usually in February and September) every year for selection of Officers in various branches of the force including Flying Branch (Short Service Commission), Technical Branch (Short Service Commission and Permanent Commission), Ground Duty Branch (Short Service Commission and Permanent Commission).
AFCAT exam is open to both men and women. AFCAT exam is divided into 4 sections of Numerical Ability, Verbal Ability, General Awareness, and Reasoning & Military Aptitude.
General Term and Conditions
There are two types of commissions under which a candidate can apply for the Indian Air Force, the Permanent Commission, and the Short Service Commission (SSC). The Permanent Commission refers to a career in the Indian Air Force until retirement. The short service commission means a limited period career in the IAF. The term for the SSC is 14 years, and it will not be extended upon completion.
AFCAT Selection Process
AFCAT selection process involves following steps :
1- Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT) and Engineering Knowledge Test (EKT - only for Technical branch).
2- AFSB Interview
2-Psychological test, Group test, Medical Test and Interview
3-CPSS (Computerized Pilot Selection System) and/ or PABT only for Flying branch
Eligibility for Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT) Exam
The following criteria are applicable for both male and female candidates who are appearing for the AFCAT.
- Age - Flying Branch: 20 to 24 years at the time of commencement. If the candidate has a valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by the DGCA of India, the age limit is relaxed up to 26 years.
- Technical Branch and Ground Duty Branch: 20-26 years at the time of commencement.
- Nationality - Indian
- Marital Status - Unmarried
- Educational Qualification - Candidates who have completed a three-year or four-year course in any discipline from a recognized University with a minimum of 60% marks. The candidate should have studied Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level.
- Students who are in their final year are also eligible to apply, as long as they do not have any backlog at the time of the Testing and produce their Degree certificate issued by the University before the stipulated date in the advertisement.
Read More About